Control Your Drinking
Strategies to Control Your Drinking
The decision to drink alcohol is a Choice which is yours and yours alone. Among those men who have chosen to drink alcohol, most will admit that the vast majority of the things they have done they deeply regret occurred under the influence of alcohol – there is a message here. Therefore, if you Choose to drink, it is also imperative that you Choose When, What, How Fast, How Much and With Whom you drink. Even if you Choose to drink, remember to be supportive of those who Choose to not drink.
Limit Days/Times You Drink
- No drinking any day you have class the next day
- No drinking any day before 5:00 P.M.
- Don’t drink on an empty stomach – eat before and during drinking
- Don’t quench your thirst with alcohol – drink water
- Drink water before, between drinks and after you drink
- Drink what you are accustomed to – unfamiliar alcohols may have a dramatically different impact on different people.
- Stick to beer with a regular alcohol content of 3.5-5%
- Avoid liquor
- If you drink liquor, measure your drinks – A Jigger (1½ Ounces) Or “2 Fingers”
- If you drink liquor, use water or soda water as a mixer. The sugar in soft drinks and tonic causes you to drink faster and only increases your hangover the next day.
- No multi-liquor drinks or fancy/sweet drinks
- No moonshine, everclear or other high proof liquor
- No chugging or shotgunning
- No shots
- No drinking games
- Limit pre-gaming
- To slow down, drink out of a can or a bottle as opposed to a cup
- Take smaller sips and slow down
Know Your Own Limits/Take Control
- Don’t try to “keep up” with anyone else
- Set a limit on the number of drinks you will have and count drinks
- Consume no more than 1 drink per hour
- Most people can only metabolize 1 standard drink per hour (12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine Or 1.5 ounces of liquor)
- Pour your own drinks
- For “PJ” or “shot” parties – take your own beer
- Limit the amount of money spent on alcohol
- Develop a low-risk attitude – protect yourself to protect your future
- Never leave your drink unattended
- Have a friend let you know when you’ve had enough
- Drink with friends and LifeBrothers who care about you
- Drink water, soda water or tonic water with a lime and no alcohol (looks like a vodka tonic)
- Drink out of a can so nobody can see how much is left in your can
- Never let someone else compel you to drink against your will
- Never compel someone else to drink against their will
- Go home with your friends at a pre-set time
If You Choose To Drink Alcohol, Do So Responsibly.
- Our core human need is to be accepted
- College students get caught up in the tidal wave of self-destructive behavior because “everybody else is doing it”
- You were chosen by us because of your character, values And leadership
- Be your own man by not getting caught up in this tidal wave of stupidity
- We can learn from our mistakes, but some do not come with a second chance
- We are our brothers’ keepers – take care of others who have consumed too much
Among those men who have chosen to drink alcohol, most will admit that the vast majority of the things they have done they deeply regret occurred under the influence of alcohol, including poor Choices regarding sexual activity.
IF YOU PLAN TO BE SEXUALLY ACTIVE, YOU MUST HAVE CONDOMS READILY AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES AND YOU MUST USE ONE EVERY TIME. FOR VAGINAL SEX, USE A CONDOM ALONG WITH ANOTHER FORM OF FEMALE BIRTH CONTROL.
Healthy Relationships, Whether with Sex Partners, Friends, Family or in Business, Depend Upon:
Having sex requires the consent of your partner.
If either partner is under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, she/he cannot legally give consent.